People have asked me how I've made hard-boiled eggs that are so easy to peel that they slip right out with one crack. They've been curious how the egg yolks are a wonderfully brilliant yellow color, so much so that it's a shame to mush it into egg salad sandwiches.
First off, the fresher the eggs the more bold the yellow of the yolk will be after boiling, and the easier they will be to peel. Don't get me wrong though, I still use fairly old eggs for egg salad goodness.
Most people will tell you to make sure the eggs are room temperature before boiling. From my understanding this is to avoid cracks in the egg after they're submerged into boiling water. I never do that.
I'll let a pot of water start simmering and place the eggs in straight out of the refrigerator. Then I let them boil, a high, rolling boil for about 10 - 15 minutes. I generally wait the 15 minutes to ensure they're boiled thoroughly.
Now, what I have found is the most important part in an easy peel egg can be done two different ways:
1. Once the boiling has ended, remove the pot from the stove and run under cold water. Immediately place the eggs in an ice cold water bath (bowl) and place in the refrigerator if you'll be saving them for later. Yes, keep them stored in a bowl full of cold water for however many days you have left over eggs.
2. If you're in a rush and want them now for some reason then remove them from the boiling water and place in the freezer for a few minutes. Then take eggs out one at a time as you crack them and slip them out of the shell. Becareful though, because the eggs will still be fairly warm, if not hot to the touch. So don't hold on to them for too long or too tightly.
If you happen to be interested in what I put in my egg salad here goes (all mashed and mixed in with a fork):
- Just enough mayo to moisten and let the egg stick together
- A drizzle of yellow mustard
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Diced pickles
- Red pepper flakes.
Credit for photo: Sunnyd1225
0 comments:
Post a Comment