Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Quiche


Quiche, originally uploaded by predictablyhungry.

(Pardon the not so good picture, as it was taken with a cell phone camera.)


I thought I'd share a recipe for Quiche Lorraine. It's a dish my mother always made on Easter while I was growing up, and as I spent last Easter away from home I made it for myself.


A quiche is a baked dish usually consisting of eggs and cream as the main ingredients. You might hear a lot of men saying they won't eat anything named "quiche," but yes people, real men do eat quiche.


What you'll need:

- 9" deep dish pastry shell

- 12 slices bacon (about 1/2 lb)

- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese

- 1/3 cup minced onion

- 4 eggs

- 2 cups whipping cream

- 1/4 teaspoon salt

- 1/4 teaspoon sugar

- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne red pepper


Making the dish:


1. Pre-Heat oven to 425.

2. Fry bacon strips crisp. Once they are cooked drain them. I place them on a paper towel on a plate to pat dry. Crumble the bacon.

3. Sprinkle bacon, onion & cheese into pastry pie shell.

4. Beat eggs slightly, and then beat in remaining ingredients.

5. Pour cream mixture into pie pan.

6. Place on a cookie sheet in case of spillage in the oven.

7. Place in over and bake for 15 minutes.

8. Reduce oven temp to 300 and bake 30 minutes (I usually bake for 45 minutes) until knife inserted 1 inch from edge comes out clean.

9. Let stand 10 mins. before cutting.

0 comments: